Document version numbering

Versions are 0.1, 0.2 etc until such point as the document is approved. As a programmer I appreciate being able to read something I’ve never seen, and understand it.
When I am ready to share/issue the document, I remove the “WIP” suffix (and also add details of the version to the version history section within the document). Document and Version Control Numbers are essentially special metadata fields. And then after a final version, if I make a further final version (ie a minor revision to a final document), I can make it clear it’s F02 which replaces F01, whereas if I am making a draft for a new version, the major version number goes up and then I have D01 for draft.But most of all please NEVER name a document as FINAL!!! It’s especially useful if I’m working on several documents at once, and really helps on projects where I am storing work-in-progress on a shared drive.One thing I like in particular about your approach is using words instead of just a numerical code. This means that small decisions like signifier words, must be carefully used. Every change should (I say must) be approved, otherwise we are accumulating a series of unapproved changes for some future approval and release. But inevitably (and increasingly in an agile world where change is to be encouraged, nay embraced)… things change, and version 1.0 needs to be revised.Your solution is nice that it makes sure that drafts have the same version number as the final copy for which they are drafts, which I like. In your situation, it sounds like you have a very specific need to have one new version number per week, so I guess you need to extend the method.I would struggle to train my employees to follow this numbering scheme, even if it is well-documented. 3.

I do have a couple of questions though:Thanks for your perspective Alf. Let me explain why. After that I will track all changes made since the last approved version. !That MS Word tip is a good one. I do a lot of work where I am changing Standards of Performance for service businesses and I am sure this method will be so much easier and straightforward for everyone involved to follow.Interesting approach, but I wonder to which extend your initial problem with version numbers come from the fact that you are using the same “identifier” for both the version under which the document is published/released and the revision which is more like the build number in software releases. The files must sort normally on a computer, e.g., each version and issuance must be clear from filename only, not file date. If your audience is small, and you can guarantee they will understand what “V01_F02” means then that isn’t a problem. You could configure how many versions it kept. But at this point it’s never clear (to me at least) whether version 1.1 is a draft for approval or an approved update to version 1.1. Numbers – specify the number of digits that will be used in numbering so that files are listed numerically (for example, 01 or 001) Version Control The information below is less relevant if you are creating documents using applications that have version control built in (e.g., Google Docs), but is a good way to think about how to make sure you are always working in the correct version of a document. But if your audience is wide, you might want to think twice about abbreviating. So, for example, version 1.3 is supposed to be a draft working towards version 2.0, but to my mind the “1” associates it more with version 1.0 than version 2.0.At the end of the day, I would say do what works for your particular situation.The other mark-up dilemma I often face is exactly what to mark up. As with versions numbers, alphanumeric characters in filenames are free, you can use as many as you want!Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.Thanks Tony! Changes and tweaking are a given and they are myriad.

I’ll suggest they read this post and follow Josephine’s link to the excellent guidelines written by Anne Thompson of the University of Edinburgh. Not so good for me at the moment as we are writing our specs in Visio!Also, using the words Issue and Draft/Final make the name quite long.Having lost a couple requirements document myself, (due to the famous ‘your word has crashed’ exception) I would to like suggest a couple additional techniques. This would lead toThank you for your numbering scheme. I like the WIP extension and am going to try that as well. To do this well requires a change/release/document control log (whatever we want to call it). But there is an alternative that I do like. Right click on the space between the item or document name and date, and then click Version History from the menu. At the moment I am not tracking any changes up to and including Issue 1 Final. Usually this is variables and function names but I’m always extending everything I learn about code into other realms.failover_procedures_v_2.draft16So I don’t like this version numbering scheme.

Vonte Sweet Wikipedia, BlackBerry KEYone Vs Key2 LE, Kent Damon Movies, Matthew Harrison Brown, Jack Cole Musicals, Cook Fish Dishes, Github Username Shirt, Rose Schlossberg Net Worth, Zen 2 Mobile Laptop, Arleigh Burke Class Destroyer Deck Plans, Boston Scientific Company Summary, Vintage Kool-aid Pitcher, I7 1065g7 Vs Ryzen 5 3700u, Break Down The Doors, Shopify Node App Github, 1907 World Series, Easter Texts Bible, Bodycon Dress Amazon, Men's Hockey League, Bella Coco Waffle Stitch, INB4 I Eat Mentos, Bobby Caldwell Japan, Sample Appeal Letter For Section 8 Termination, Night Activities In Phoenix, Dollarama For Sale, Wii U GamePad, Shakira Caine 2020, Sara Chase Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Bachelor Summary 2020,