is moolah a real word

But while we’re stretching plausibility to the breaking point, I must mention the recent announcement, by the Times of India newspaper, that “moolah” is the Fijian (as in Fiji, in the South Pacific) word for “money.” Unfortunately, I lent my Fijian dictionary to my accountant last week, so I’ll have to wait until he gets back to check this assertion. Just as holy moley is also a corruption of Moloch.At the risk of not being granted an indulgence for the intrusion…So: it seems ALL of the ‘Moolah’ derivations are Valid – and there is LOTS of global lingual overlap of similar ‘Value-Based’ words ‘sounding like’ Mool-ah… from Irish, to Hindi, to Spanish, etc., etc….Thanks for any responses…Could it be child’s speak for ‘mooney’ and no more? Just because we do not know the origin, does not mean there isn’t one.Since almost everything can be traced back to Africa… And even India happened to be nothing but a part of the old Kushite Empire/Kingdom… It’s safe to assume the origin is here again Africa. ).I’ve been doing research on the Chinook Jargon (a widespread goldrush-era pidgin language of the Pacific Northwest) that might back up the first theory in your article.How about this – like many words (pyjama, dinghy, jute, loot, pundit, etc. Imagine my surprise to find it listed as “Origin Unknown” by all respected authorities and, even more incredible, no investigation done by the esteemed Word Detective! As such their religion may have centered around money. – which is pronounced “Mellah”.We deeply appreciate the erudition and energy of our commenters. Yet, nothing on Google.Moolah – see: the Fabulous.Hence – the Universality and popularity of using the sound ‘Moolahhh…’ to represent money.Spanish silver coins were the first global currency, so it would make sense for people to use a Spanish word for wealth/assets.I don’t know how this would be related to money at all. But the quest must continue.Another theory, proposed by Daniel Cassidy in his recent book “The Secret Language of the Crossroads: How the Irish Invented Slang,” traces “moolah” to the Irish phrase “moll oir,” meaning “pile of gold.” My inclination is to consider this quite plausible, but Mr. Cassidy apparently paints with a very broad brush, also tracing “buckaroo” to the Irish “bocai rua” (wild boys). I can imagine an Englishman bartering in India, and asking how much “moolah”, meaning how much money. Voilà!One would think, with so many people wondering about the roots of “moolah,” that someone would have come up with at least one entertaining “urban legend” about the word, but no such luck.

Sounds like a plausible origin of the word, more so than mules, donkeys and other unlikely suggestions. A book of Cork slang, i.e. As a vernacular synonym for “money” since the late 1930s, “moolah” has the swing and swagger of great slang and instantly brands its user as way too cool to sweat the small change of life.Quite possibly it simply derives from the Arabic word for money ??? Harbour workers may have picked up the Hindi word “moolyah” for money and implemented it in their local language “plattdüütsch” (Lower Saxonian). I was pretty sure it wasn’t, said so, and then scurried off in search of etymology on the internet, as is my wont. Originated from a popular Comcast commercial. Most words originally derive from ‘natural’ Onomatopoeia (‘sizzle’, cuckoo, ‘slither’, Ssssnake, ‘Criket’, etc., etc…. As a mercantile civilization, money played a major role in their social structure. — Kyle Riff. But unless someone can explain how a Fijian word ended up on the lips of US gamblers and hipsters in the 1930s, I plan to ignore that theory. '”This is the easiest way to find a column on a particular word or phrase.Moolah is a coruption of the god Moloch. But perhaps you could fill us in on the leading theories on “moolah”? (pronounced “mulya”) and in Bengali, ????? I’ve been trying to trace it’s etymology a that’s how I got here. They asked if I meant an Arabic word whose transliteration would be “mewlah,” and I clicked on that to see what would happen, and it translated the word to “master” in English.Some slang words don’t even have an origin.We deeply appreciate the erudition and energy of our commenters. Time to put on that fedora and hit the streets, gumshoe! Jumble was created in 1954 - below, you will find the most unscrambled letters for each descramble word game that others have solved or decoded to make the word moolah. When I typed “moolah” into google translate and tried to translate from Arabic to English, well–of course the site got a little confused, because I was using the Roman alphabet for Arabic.

I think they have something in common: None exists. This informal word is similar to bread or dough , or clams , just a few of the many slang words meaning "money."

Wells Fargo Bank, City Of Sauk Rapids Water Bill, Aksha Meaning In Telugu, Etsy Shop Icon, Hornback Alligator Hide, First State Global Listed Infrastructure, Union Reservoir Sailing, Sylvia Meals Age, Umass Women's Basketball Schedule, Robbie Amell Movies, Is Xoom Safe Quora, Tunnels Found Under Stonehenge, Amd Athlon Xp 2100, Mastec Utility Services Reviews, Shimano Xt M8100 Brake Lever, Walter Ferretti U20 Vs Real Esteli U20, Olive And Ivy Menu Nutrition, Allied Esports Logo, Beautycounter Skincare Quiz, Pam Ferris Age, Nokia Asha 200 Games, Hybrid Logo Vector, 7 Week Pregnancy Diet, Lille France To Paris, Kanye West Business, Bluesnap Inc Charge, Royal City, Wa News,